Thursday, March 22, 2012

A Little from AP Bio

Hello everyone. I hope you're doing well! I stayed home from school today because I was feeling very unwell. I think I become dehydrated yesterday. :/ Anyway,  I'm particularly excited because I will be going to a cadaver lab tomorrow! On the subject of biology...

Well, in my AP Biology class we've been studying the Kingdom Animalia and the various phyla. This is kind of random, especially since my blog is very kawaii-based, however, I want to educate my readers a little bit I guess, and explain why the phylum Cnidaria is my personal favorite of all the other phyla. So here it goes!

Cnidaria is part of the Radiata dichotomy. They're thought to be the second oldest, most primitive and simple organisms, next to Porifera (sponges). Cnidarians have radial symmetry and diploblastic embryos, meaning they have two layers; the ectoderm and endoderm. Unlike humans, they lack mesoderms. Cnidarians are characterized by having a body plan that is a sac with a gastrovascular cavity, aka digestive system.

Organisms in the phylum Cnidaria include hydras, jellyfish, sea anemones, and coral animals. There are two different variations of Cnidarians; the sessile polyp and the floating medusa. Polyps are cylindrical forms that stick to surfaces and let their tencales free to catch prey, whereas medusas are upside down bowl-like organisms with hanging tentacles used to catch prey.

Cnidarians also excrete awesome. 

An example of a polyp


An example of medusa









I quite enjoy this phylum, and I hope you do as well. I apologize for my lack of posting, my absence, and upon my return one of the most random posts ever. Soon to come is a part 2 and 3 for my new room, as well as a post about the key to amateur decoden, and a couple outfit posts, as I will be trying out some fairy-kei coordinates. I'll probably post about my cadaver lab experience sometime during the weekend. I hope you guys have a wonderful weekend!

Thanks for reading!
Yours Truly, Jamie♥

No comments:

Post a Comment